In commemoration of the World Interfaith Harmony Week, the Permanent Missions of Egypt and the United Arab Emirates to the United Nations in partnership with the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) and sponsorship of the Higher Committee of Human Fraternity are organizing an interactive panel dedicated to the celebration of the International Day of Human Fraternity, entitled “A Pathway to the Future.”
WHEN: Thursday, 4 February, 2021, from 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM EST
On 21 December 2020, in response to growing religious hatred, discrimination, and stigma, the United Nations General Assembly adopted Resolution A/75/200 proclaiming 4 February as the International Day of Human Fraternity to foster interfaith harmony, dialogue, and mutual respect worldwide. Co-sponsored by Egypt and the United Arab Emirates, the resolution takes note of efforts and initiatives aimed at promoting interreligious and intercultural dialogue, including the historic “Document on Human Fraternity for World Peace and Living Together” co-authored and signed on 4 February 2019 by His Holiness Pope Francis and His Eminence the Grand Imam of Al Azhar Sheikh Ahmed El Tayeb. These humanistic principles are aligned with the goals and objectives of the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC), created in 2005 to advance intercultural and interreligious dialogue as a viable tool to prevent and defuse identity-based tensions. The celebration of the first International Day of Human Fraternity in the context of World Interfaith Harmony Week will provide an opportunity to highlight the principles and values included in the Document of Human Fraternity and explore good practices towards its implementation as a pathway to the future as we rebuild a better world.
- H.E. Mr. António Guterres, United Nations Secretary-General (video message)
- H.E. Mr. Miguel Ángel Moratinos, High Representative for the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC)
- H.E. Mr. Mohamed Fathi Ahmed Edrees, Permanent Representative of Egypt to the United Nations
- H.E. Mrs. Lana Zaki Nusseibeh, Permanent Representative of the United Arab Emirates to the United Nations
- H.E. Judge Mohammad Abdul-Salam, Secretary-General of the Higher Committee of Human Fraternity
- Member States, religious leaders, faith actors, and faith-based organizations.
LIVESTREAM AND MORE INFORMATION: www.unaoc.org/humanfraternityday
UN TV WEBCAST: The event will be streamed live on UN Web TV: http://webtv.un.org/
Join the social media conversation by following @UNAOC and posting with the hashtag #HumanFraternityDay
Ms. Nihal Saad, Chief of Cabinet and Spokesperson, United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC), firstname.lastname@example.org.