21 May, World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development
The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) in partnership with UNESCO and a wide coalition of partners from corporations to civil society is launching the world campaign “Do One Thing for Diversity and Inclusion”, aimed at engaging people around the world to Do One Thing to support Cultural Diversity and Inclusion.
Following the adoption in 2001 of the Universal Declaration on Cultural Diversity the UN General Assembly declared May 21 as the World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development.
Why does diversity matters?
Three-quarters of the world’s major conflicts have a cultural dimension.
Bridging the gap between cultures is urgent and necessary for peace, stability and development.
The 2013 campaign, by encouraging people and organizations from around the world to take concrete action to support diversity, aims:
- To raise awareness worldwide about the importance of intercultural dialogue, diversity and inclusion.
- To build a world community of individuals committed to support diversity with real and every day-life gestures.
- To combat polarization and stereotypes to improve understanding and cooperation among people from different cultures.
Join the worldwide campaign, “Do One Thing for Diversity and Inclusion”, like the Facebook page and encourage your neighbors, your family, your friends and your coworkers to Do One Thing to support Diversity and Inclusion on the World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development on May 21.
Every one of us can do ONE thing for diversity and inclusion; even one very little thing can become a global action if we all take part in it.
Ten simple things YOU can do to celebrate the World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development on May 21.
- Visit an art exhibit or a museum dedicated to other cultures
- Learn about another religion
- Plan an international movie night
- Listen to a musical tradition from a different culture
- Play a sport related to a different culture (Karate, Criquet, Pétanque…)
- Invite a friend over and cook traditional food
- Learn about traditional celebrations from other cultures
- Volunteer with an organization working for diversity and inclusion
- Learn another language
- Spread the word around you, family, friends and invite people from a different culture to share your customs.
There are thousands of things that you can do, are you taking part in it?
How to join the campaign?
- “Like” us on Facebook to start a discussion on our wall, follow our posts and videos and take part in the photo and video contests. (facebook.com/DoOneThingforDiversityandInclusion)
- Tell others about this day.
- Organize an event and contact us to put your event under the umbrella of the campaign.
To learn more about the World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development visit:http://www.un.org/en/events/culturaldiversityday/index.shtml
You can find the brochure of the campaign in the six official languages of the UN (English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic and Chinese).
Are you passionate about promoting diversity and inclusion? Does your organization share our vision?
Find out how you can partner with us today