Media Advisory: 2024 International Day of Human Fraternity
Organized by the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) and co-sponsored by
the Permanent Missions of the United Arab Emirates and Egypt to the United Nations
Monday, 5 February 2025, 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM EST (New York time)
Virtual and online: JOIN US LIVE HERE
In commemoration of the 2024 International Day of Human Fraternity, the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is organizing a virtual event for Member States, religious leaders, faith actors, and civil society representatives. The event is co-sponsored by the Permanent Missions of the United Arab Emirates and Egypt to the United Nations.
Monday, 5 February 202411:00AM to 12:00 PM EST (New York time)
On December 21, 2020, the United Nations General Assembly adopted resolution A/RES/75/200, designating February 4 as the International Day of Human Fraternity, to be commemorated annually starting in 2021.
Co-facilitated by Egypt and the United Arab Emirates, the resolution acknowledges initiatives fostering interreligious and intercultural dialogue. Notably, it recognizes the historic meeting on February 4, 2019, between His Holiness Pope Francis and His Eminence the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar, Ahmad al-Tayeb, in Abu Dhabi, UAE, which led to the signing of the “Document on Human Fraternity for World Peace and Living Together.” The resolution also encourages all Member States to actively promote a culture of peace, tolerance, inclusion, understanding, and solidarity.
Celebrating human fraternity and its underlying principles — including mutual respect, cultural and religious diversity, and the promotion of intercultural and interreligious dialogue — serves as a poignant reminder of the shared values that unite us as one humanity. This spirit has become especially crucial in these troubled times marked by divisions along religious, ethnic, and cultural lines. The rise of religious animosity, stigma, and various forms of discrimination against vulnerable communities, not only violates human rights and UN values, but also poses a serious threat to international peace and security efforts.
The upcoming virtual event will provide an opportunity to highlight the principles and values included in the Document of Human Fraternity and renew our joint commitment to promoting mutual respect, religious and cultural diversity and advancing dialogue.
- H.E. Mr. António Guterres, United Nations Secretary-General (message)
- H.E. Mr. Miguel Ángel Moratinos, High Representative for the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC)
- H.E. Mr. Osama Mahmoud Abdelkhalek Mahmoud, Permanent Representative of the Arab Republic of Egypt to the United Nations
- H.E. Mr. Hector Gómez Hernández, Permanent Representative of Spain to the United Nations
- H.E. Mr. Mohamed Abushahab, Deputy Permanent Representative of the United Arab Emirates to the United Nations
- H.E. Mr. Maged Abdelfattah Abdelaziz, Permanent Observer for the League of Arab States at the United Nations
- Archbishop Gabriele Giordano Caccia, Permanent Observer of the Holy See to the United Nations
- His Virtue Sheikh-ul-Islam Allahshukur Pashazadeh, Chairman of the Caucasus Muslims’ Board, Co-Chair of the Interreligious Council
- H.E. Mr. Omar Kadiri, Deputy Permanent Representative of the Kingdom of Morocco to the United Nations
Join the social media conversation by following UNAOC on all major social media platforms and using the hashtag #HumanFraternityDay.