A Side Event in the Margins of the 2021 High-Level Political Forum
WHAT: In the margins of the 2021 High-Level Political Forum, the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC), the UN Office on Genocide Prevention and the Responsibility to Protect (OSAPG), and the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) are organizing a side event on the implementation of the “Global Pledge for Action by Religious Actors and Faith-Based Organizations to Address the COVID-19 Pandemic in Collaboration with the United Nations” with the co-sponsorship of the Permanent Missions of the Kingdom of Morocco and the Republic of Croatia to the UN, and Religions for Peace.
WHEN: Wednesday, 7 July, 2021 | 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM EDT.
WHERE: Virtual | Follow @UNAOC for live coverage on Twitter | Watch Live
WHY: The Global Pledge for Action by Religious Actors and Faith-Based Organizations to Address the COVID-19 Pandemic in collaboration with the United Nations is the result of a consultation that UNAOC, OSAPG, and OHCHR co-organized with a group of religious leaders and actors and faith-based organizations in 2020 to explore innovative ways to partner in response to COVID-19. The Pledge includes a declaration by religious leaders and actors with assurances and commitments in response to COVID-19 and a mapping of ongoing activities and possible areas of collaboration with the UN. One year after the launch of the Global Pledge for Action, and after six webinars co-organized by the three UN offices on its implementation, this side event aims to take stock of and advocate for further implementation of the Global Pledge for Action.
Moderator: Ms. Nihal Saad, Chief of Cabinet and Spokesperson, UN Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC)
- H.E. Mr. Miguel Angel Moratinos, High Representative for the UN Alliance of
- Ms. Michelle Bachelet, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (videoconference)
- Ms. Alice Wairimu Nderitu, UN Special Adviser on the Prevention of Genocide
- H.E. Mr. Omar Hilale, Permanent Representative of the Kingdom of Morocco to the UN
- H.E. Mr. Andrej Dogan, Deputy Permanent Representative of the Republic of Croatia to
the UN and Charge d’Affaires
- Dr. Azza Karam, Secretary-General, Religions for Peace
- Mr. Ahmed Shaheed, UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief
- Ms. Nahla Haidar, Vice-Chairperson, UN Committee on the Elimination of
Discrimination against Women, CEDAW
- Ms. Diane Ala’I, Representative, Baha’I International Community to the UN in Geneva
- Ms. Ana-Maria Daou, Head of Research Unit, Adyan Foundation; Deputy Coordinator,
Interfaith Youth Committee, Religions for Peace
- Ms. Christen Broecker, Deputy Director, Jacob Blaustein Institute
- Mr. Hossam Ed-Deen Allam, Lecturer, Al-Azhar Fatwa Global Center, Al-Azhar
- Ms. Nina Noor, Programme Executive, Globeth.net (Indonesia)
- Rabbi Hannah Kingston, Alyth Synagogue of the North Western Reform Synagogue
- Ms. Benedicte Charrier, Vice President, Coexister (France)
CONTACT: Ms. Ana Jimenez, Political Advisor, UN Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC): email@example.com.