Logistics and Administrative Assistant
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – Job-specific
The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) was established in 2005, as the political initiative of Mr. Kofi Annan, former UN Secretary General and co-sponsored by the Governments of Spain and Turkey.
A High-Level Group of experts was formed by Mr. Annan to explore the roots of polarization between societies and cultures today, and to recommend a practical programme of action to address this issue. The Report of the High-Level Group provided analysis and put forward practical recommendations that form the basis for the implementation plan of the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations.
The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations High Representative and Secretariat are based and operating from New York. The Alliance maintains a global network of partners including states, international and regional organizations, civil society groups, foundations, and the private sector to improve cross-cultural relations between diverse nations and communities.
In its 2006 report, the High-Level Group identified four priority areas for action: Education, Youth, Migration, Media. UNAOC project activities, fashioned around these four areas, which can play a critical role in helping to reduce cross-cultural tensions and to build bridges between communities.
Under the coordination of the Head of Admin Unit and the direct supervision of the UNAOC High Representative, the Logistics and Administrative Assistant duties will include:
Administrative and Office Management Support:
- Receive and route calls of UNAOC office and handle inquiries from the public;
- Meet and greet visitor of the UNAOC office, create entry passes and liaise with building security and operation unit when needed:
- Provide office orientation to the new UNAOC personnel and interns; set-up work stations;
- Ensure timely renewal of UN grounds passes for the UNAOC personnel;
- Ensure update of UNAOC information on UN information portals (i-seek, yellow pages, Protocol Lists);
- Maintain office supplies stock, ensure timely replenishment of the supplies;
- Maintain leave requests and keep time and attendance records updated for all UNAOC personnel;
- Assist in coordination of all travels of UNAOC personnel including participants/invitees of UNAOC related meetings and events;
- Under the guidance of the Head of Admin Unit, assist, support and follow-up with processing administrative, financial, and procurement tasks required for office operation; Collect quotes for goods and services; raise payment requests and submit to UNOPS for processing;
- When requested, assist the High Representative with his itineraries, scheduling bilateral meetings and other logistical tasks.
Meetings and Events:
- Provide administrative and logistical support to the UNAOC events/workshops in the United Nations Headquarters and abroad;
- Act as a Focal Point for requests of meeting rooms in the UNAOC office and in the UNHQs for UNAOC corporate events/workshops;
- Liaise with the United Nations headquarters departments and offices responsible for logistical and administrative support (special events unit, Protocol, Security, Meetings management, Interpretation section, BCSS, DPI, Journal etc.);
- Circulate agendas, take notes and prepare minutes of the staff meetings.
- Receive general correspondence, check general UNAOC e-mail account, respond/forward as appropriate;
- Draft/edit and/or send general correspondence, circulate agendas and other documents related to the UNAOC events in New York and abroad;
- When requested, draft letters on behalf of the High Representative, and dispatch them to the addressees.
Filing and tracking:
- Keep all contact directories updated, including Permanent Missions, and delegations of International Organizations based in New York, UNAOC staff, etc;
- Keep all office documentation and publications duly filed;
- Track publications available in the office, as well as inventory of durable equipment and supplies.
- Keep records and maintain database of Memorandum of Understanding.
Contribute to the overall work of the UNAOC Secretariat and take on additional tasks as and when needed.
- Secondary education is required.
- A Bachelor’s Degree will be an asset and may reduce some years of the required experience.
- Additional training in administrative and business practices an asset.
- Minimum five (5) years of progressive experience in administration, finance or programme support;
- Ability to work in a multicultural and international environment; good knowledge of the UN system mechanisms and UN agencies’ mandates, knowledge and experience in UN rules and procedures are assets.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Word, Excel, Power Point and databases.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of a second UN official language an asset.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement (LICA)
- Contract level: Local ICA-5/ ICSC5
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC)
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.