Read in Spanish: Audiencia a Don Miguel Ángel Moratinos Cuyaubé, Alto Representante de las Naciones Unidas para la Alianza de Civilizaciones
Click thumbnails for larger view.
Meeting with Mr. Miguel Ángel Moratinos Cuyaubé, High Representative for the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations
Palace of Zarzuela, 02/21/2019
His Majesty the King received Mr. Miguel Ángel Moratinos Cuyaubé, High Representative for the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations, on the occasion of his appointment on 7 January 2019.
The Alliance of Civilizations is an initiative of the United Nations, co-sponsored by Spain and Turkey, which aims to promote dialogue and cooperation between different communities, cultures and civilizations and to build bridges that unite peoples and people beyond their cultural differences or religions, developing a series of concrete actions aimed at the prevention of conflicts and peacebuilding.
The Secretary-General of the United Nations formally launched the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) on 14 July 2005 as an initiative of the United Nations with the co-sponsorship of Spain and Turkey. The launch was based on the project presented by Spain before the United Nations General Assembly in September 2004. The Secretary-General entrusted a High-Level Group to draft a report to articulate the foundations and political initiatives of the Alliance of Civilizations, which was presented in November 2006. In April 2007, the Secretary-General of the United Nations appointed the Portuguese Jorge Sampaio as the High Representative for UNAOC. He was replaced, in February 2013, by the Qatari Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser. Since 7 January 2019, former Minister Miguel Ángel Moratinos has been the new High Representative for the Alliance of Civilizations.
The activities of the Alliance of Civilizations consist in the promotion and the development of various projects and initiatives such as:
- Youth: Youth Solidarity Fund; Student exchange programmes; Summer Schools; Dialogue Cafes; Silatech; Soliya; Young leaders program; Scholarship program.
- Education: Research Network of the Alliance of Civilizations; Teaching of history; Centers for the exchange of media information; Teachers training in cultural diversity.
- Media, internet: Rapid Response Media Mechanism; Global Experts Network; Media literacy program; Media Fund of the Alliance of Civilizations; Programmes with civil society in the Arab region; Training courses for journalists; Exchange of journalists; PEACEapp programme for the creation of videogames and mobile applications with content focusing on intercultural understanding.
- Migration: PLURAL+ Youth Video Festival; Online community on migration and integration.
- Miscellaneous: Business Coalition for intercultural dialogue; Global fund for intercultural innovation; Intercultural innovation award.