Personal Assistant to the High Representative
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – Job-specific
The UN Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) launched by the Secretary-General of the United Nations and co-sponsored by the Governments of Spain and Turkey, responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security. The Alliance seeks to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action at the institutional and civil society levels to overcome the prejudice, misperceptions and polarization that militate against such a consensus. The Alliance hopes to contribute to a coalescing global movement which, reflecting the will of the vast majority of people, rejects extremism in any society.
The UNAOC is funded by multiple donors and benefits from the executive support by the UNOPS. The Office of the High Representative requires a Personal Assistant to the High Representativeto provide direct support to the UNAOC High Representative and to his personal advisers.
As delegated by the Director of the UNAOC, the person will work closely with the UNAOC High Representative. He/She will perform the following tasks:
- Receiving general calls and correspondence, responding/forwarding as appropriate;
- Placing and receiving calls for the UNAOC High Representative and personal advisers;
- Drafting/editing, sending and or faxing correspondence for UNAOC High Representative and his personal advisers;
- Coordinate requests for meetings with the UNAOC’s High Representative and personal advisers;
- Arranging hospitality and documents for international/bilateral meetings as requested;
- Making reservations for accommodation and preparing travel itineraries for High Representative and his personal advisers;
Ensure duly filing and tracking in the office:
- Keeping all contact directories updated, including GoF, letters, etc;
- Keeping all documentation related to Executive office duly filed
- At least high school diploma is required; A Bachelor’s degree may substituted 4 years of required experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in administrative support in particular to high level officials;
- Strong communications skills (both spoken and written);
- Excellent writing skills;
- Excellent IT skills and knowledge of basic MS office applications;
- Excellent knowledge of protocol procedures.
- Fluency in spoken and written Arabic and English;
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Local ICA
- Contract level: LICA-5
- Contract duration: ASAP -31 July 2018 with possibility of extension.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Background Information – Development Group Cluster
Based in New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- Work life harmonization: UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.