Community Engagement Intern
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – Job-specific
The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations, an initiative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security, and in their environmental, economic and financial well-being. The Alliance seeks to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action at the institutional and civil society levels to overcome the prejudice, misperceptions and polarization that militate against such a consensus. The Alliance contributes to a global movement that rejects violent extremism.
UNAOC’s Secretariat is based in New York, NY. UNAOC is funded by multiple donors and supported by UNOPS.
- Provide support to overall Community engagement efforts:
- Manage and maintain the “Intercultural Leaders” website, a knowledge-exchange digital platform comprised of UNAOC alumni and mentors
- Manage and expand the membership of the platform by overseeing all user registrations, following up on user invitations, and ensuring that new user profiles are created
- Periodically select featured members from a pool of existing users by carefully reviewing their participation and engagement on the platform
- Research and identify potential mentors if needed
- Ensure that needs posted by members of Intercultural Leaders are met, including contacting parties involved, ensuring timely delivery of services, following-up on the status of projects, and compiling evaluation forms after deliverables have been met
- Provide monitoring and evaluation of the support received through the platform
- Research and share opportunities (seminars/conferences/training/grants) that may be of interest to the members
- Ensure a more engaging conversation among members and monitor opportunities of collaboration
- Encourage more members to post offers and/or requests for help
- Execute communication and outreach campaigns to ensure greater use of the platform
- Organize IL presentations (webinars, training, Skype calls) when needed
- Manage Intercultural Leaders Facebook Group and social media content
- Provide content for UNAOC reports/newsletters, etc. related to UNAOC members
- Create communication materials when needed
- Site maintenance:
- Liaise with web development team for technical support
- Identify opportunities to improve user experience
- Identify bugs and report bugs to the technical team
- Ensure that the platform is up and running perfectly, with minimal to zero downtime
- Provide monthly updates on overall user satisfaction; generate quarterly statistics report; compile events and activities of IL members
- Contribute, when needed, to the overall implementation of the Intercultural Innovation Award
- Bachelor’s Degree, graduated within three years prior to the application date of the internship is required.
- Relevant experience in community management, particularly in a digital social environment similar to Intercultural Leaders
- Experience with WordPress content managing system is necessary
- Ability to work independently on a number of separate, simultaneous tasks
- Excellent attention to detail
- Outstanding communications and networking skills
- Strong interpersonal and interpersonal skills
- Full command of Microsoft Office suite of products
- Plugged into the social media landscape
- A good understanding of the UN system and commitment to the UN mission
- Fluent in English and knowledge of another UN language(s) a plus.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
How to prepare for competency based interviews:
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Background Information – Development Group Cluster
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services