The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations will organize a panel discussion entitled “Unravelling #fakenews from Opinion-making Information: A News Literacy Discussion”.
The event is the second instalment of a series of panel discussions organized by UNAOC at UNHQ on the subject of Media and Information Literacy.
This session will focus on how contemporary societies can acquire news literacy skills in order to digest the increasing speed and volume of information in the complex digital age.
Every day we are bombarded by information on social media, newspapers, news websites, television and other media. Our exposure to a myriad of news sources makes it difficult to dissect all the information and separate fact from opinion, truths from “alternative facts”, news from “fake news”. To tackle this challenge we cannot only focus on the rules and norms governing the providers of news; we must also equip the consumers of information with the necessary critical thinking skills and tools to assess the credibility of any media message and news source. The development of this skill set of News Literacy is essential in our societies.
- Nihal Saad, Chief of Cabinet and Spokesperson for the UNAOC High Representative
- Maher Nasser, Director, Outreach Division, United Nations Department of Public Information
- Howard Schneider, Executive Director, Center for News Literacy, Stony Brook University
- Alan Miller, Founder and CEO, News Literacy Project
- Mitra Kalita, Vice-President of Programming, CNN
- Áine Kerr, Manager of Journalism Partnerships, Facebook
- Dina Temple-Raston, Counterterrorism Correspondent, National Public Radio
- Michelle Ciulla Lipkin, Executive Director, National Association for Media Literacy Education
Thursday, September 7th, 2017, 11 am to 1 pm
Conference Room 6, United Nations Headquarters, New York
This event is by invitation. RSVP is mandatory. Please register by Wednesday, August 30th, 2017.
For more information and to RSVP please visit: www.unaoc.org/event/fakenews.
For additional information please contact Jordi Torrent at email@example.com.