The High Representative for the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is organizing a panel discussion on “The Role of Religious Leaders in Peacebuilding in the Middle East.” The event will feature religious leaders representing the three monotheistic religions of the Holy Land – Muslim, Jewish, and Christian.
The panel discussion will serve as a follow-up to the November 2016 Summit of Religious Leaders for Peace in the Middle East, held in Alicante, Spain – an initiative facilitated by the Spanish Government and sponsored by UNAOC. The Summit resulted in the adoption of the Alicante Declaration, which aims to facilitate the contribution of civil society to peace between Israelis and Palestinians.
During the July 18 panel discussion, participating religious leaders will present the actions that they are undertaking to implement the principles of the Alicante Declaration and discuss concrete actions to foster their contribution to tolerance, mutual understanding, and the prevention of extremist ideology.
For more information about the program and the Alicante Declaration, please click here.
Invitations are addressed to the Group of Friends of UNAOC and the rest of the United Nations member states.
- H.E. Mr. António Guterres, United Nations Secretary-General
- H.E. Mr. Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser, High Representative for the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations
- H.E. Mr. Alfonso María Dastis, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation of Spain
- Sheikh Raed Badir, Leading Islamic law (Shari’a) arbitrator and member of the southern branch of the Palestinian Ulama Council, Israel
- Patriarch Theophilos III, Patriarch of the Holy City of Jerusalem and all Palestine, Syria, Arabia, and beyond the Jordan River, Kana of Galilee and Holy Sion
- Dr. Adina Bar Shalom, Founder and President of Haredi College in Jerusalem
- Rabbi Michael Melchior, Community Rabbi in Jerusalem; President of the Mosaica Religious Peace Initiative
- Sheikh Imad Abed Al-Hamid Al-Falouji, Chairman of the Adam Center for Dialogue of Civilizations in Palestine
- Rabbi Avraham Giesser, Rabbi of Ofra; Council Head for the State religious educational system of Israel
Tuesday, 18 July 2017, 3 to 6 pm
United Nations Headquarters, Conference Room 3
Contact Mrs. Mehrangez Rafieva: email@example.com