Research Assistant Intern
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – Job-specific
United Nations Alliance of Civilizations launched by the Office of the Secretary-General of the United Nations and co-sponsored by the Governments of Spain and Turkey, responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security. The Alliance seeks to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action at the institutional and civil society levels to overcome the prejudice, misperceptions and polarization that militate against such a consensus. The Alliance hopes to contribute to a coalescing global movement which, reflecting the will of the vast majority of people, rejects extremism in any society.
The intern will work under the direct, overall supervision of the Chief of Cabinet and Senior Adviser.
Specific intern responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Media and Information Literacy Education:
- Assist with the Civil Society various events;
- Conduct research on the issues of interfaith, inter-Cultural Diversity to support the UNAOC four pillars :Education, Youth, Media and migration;
- Research and Contribute to the Interactive Dialogues and Thematic Debates organized by the High Representative.
- Focus on innovative Education for communities in the context of the Post 2030 UN Development Agenda;
- Assist in the participation and contribution of inputs to the High Representative ; Interactive Dialogues, Thematic Debates and Conferences;
- Assist the Cabinet with logistical arrangements of UNAOC-related events;
- Provide logistical and coordination support in the office as needed.
UNOPS Core Values/Competencies
- Respect for Diversity
- Planning & Organizing
- Client Orientation
- Commitment to continuous Learning
- Technological Awareness
Currently enrolled in an advanced university degree program.
- Previous experience with content management systems, social media, and strong event organization skills is highly desirable.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills; attention to detail; and determination to meet deadlines.
- Computer literacy with strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Familiarity with the work of the United Nations Organization, its mandate, main areas of focus, United nations Bodies, agencies, entities and departments, current priorities issues.
Applicants must have an excellent knowledge of English with advanced written and verbal skills. Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
Contract type, level and duration – Internship
- Contract type: Internship
- Contract level: N/A
- Contract duration: 6 months (starting 1 April 2017)
This internship is not designed to lead to a staff position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. Further, UNOPS may provide a one time travel lump sum of 500 USD. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel and necessary visa arrangements.
For more details about UNOPS internships please follow this link.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
- Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
- ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Background Information – Development Group Cluster
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services.