Name of organization:
Association for Arab Youth – Baladna
Description of organization:
Baladna is a developmental and capacity building agency for Arab-Palestinian youth in Israel. The organization was established in 2001 by a diverse group of professionals that aims to represent a new generation of Palestinian citizens of Israel.
Through a survey sponsored by Baladna, the organization has identified that 80% of Palestinian youth believe that sectarian divisions have been deepening recently in many communities in Israel. The project aims to address these issues through a large-scale campaign to contain sectarianism through training focused on building long-term collaboration between Palestinian youth of different cultural and religious backgrounds.
By the end of this project, Baladna expects to:
- Conduct a survey among Palestinian high school students, to understand how youth perceive sectarianism;
- Develop a media campaign from the results of the survey, targeting Arab schools, community centers and the public at large;
- Create and distribute two videos through social media and relevant websites;
- Produce an anti-prejudice/sectarianism training manual and distribute it among schools, youth organizations and NGOs around the country;
- Identify and train ten young leaders who will lead youth groups in five different Palestinian communities in Israel; and
- Identify, develop and implement a local project by youth groups in their community, which will aim to impact 5000 youth in total across the country.