Name of organization:
Integrated Community Development Initiative (ICODI)
Description of organization:
ICODI was established during 2010 in the Southwestern region of Uganda. It has a mandate of working with and through individuals and communities to improve economic, health and social wellbeing of the rural and urban poor in Uganda. The organization also works together with communities in the creation of peace and harmony among populations.
The historical conflicts in the Great Lakes region have resulted in Southwestern Uganda having a large number of refugees. This significant movement of communities from the countries with conflicts and their settlement and interaction with the local communities in Uganda is now associated with increased spread of hate, discrimination and hostility because of their differences in culture, religion and political affiliations. Violence in refugee camps often involves young people. ICODI however intends to engage young people as key actors to achieve peace and harmony between the population of the refugee camps and their surrounding communities.
Proposed project and expected results:
“Youth Centered Approach to Build Mutual Respect among Peoples of Different Cultural and Religious Identities” aims to increase knowledge and skills of peacebuilding, rejecting extremism and embracing diversity among 5,000 youth in Nakivale refugee camp and in the surrounding communities and districts in Uganda. It also seeks to reduce the cases of spreading of hate, discrimination and hostility among these populations and supports their economic and social development through vocational training. By the end of the project ICODI expects to:
- Conduct 6 trainings of trainers for a total of 450 youth on peacebuilding, rejecting extremism and embracing diversity.
- Establish youth peacebuilding clubs in refugee camps, communities surrounding camps and secondary schools within the Isingiro and Mbarara districts of Southwest Uganda.
- Conduct trainings in vocational skills for 600 youth in refugee camps, communities surrounding camps and secondary schools within Isingiro and Mbarara districts of South West Uganda.
- Conduct youth dialogues in refugee camps, communities surrounding camps and secondary schools within Isingiro and Mbarara districts of South West Uganda.
- Develop a peace and reconciliation campaign targeting 8,000 youth (with awareness visits in schools, radio messages, sports games; international day of peace celebration).
Project coordinator: Kato Ssekah Abdu
Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Read More About the UNAOC Youth Solidarity Fund Here