Name of organization:
Description of organization:
Established in 2015, myDunoon is an organization based in Dunoon township, Cape Town. The organization focuses on engaging with the local community and facilitating a network that strengthens partnerships amongst key stakeholders. myDunoon also promotes unity and stimulates innovative problem-solving to address challenges in the township.
Xenophobia is a pressing issue across South Africa. Violent incidents occurred throughout the country in 2008, with the Dunoon township being the center of xenophobic attacks happening in Cape Town. This is largely due to the fact that Dunoon has one of the highest percentages of foreign nationals living within a community. The local Xhosa population seldom engages with migrants and when socio-economic issues arise, there is a lack of dialogue between cultures to prevent the anger turning towards people from other countries.
Proposed project and expected results:
myDunoon proposes to address this issue through implementing the “Who is Your Neighbour” project. A short film course and competition will be coordinated in Dunoon township, where local and migrant youth are trained in the art of film making. After going through the training, young people will create two films based on the theme ‘Fighting Xenophobia – Who is My Neighbor’. These films will be screened in the community, as well as a strategy developed for a film forum in Dunoon township.
By the end of the project, myDunoon expects to:
- Convene 40 young people, comprised of both local and migrant youth, in a workshop where both sides can tell their stories of xenophobia.
- Train 40 young people on film-making, including topics such as cinematography, directing, scriptwriting, producing, sound and production design.
- Produce two short films by youth with a theme around the topic of ‘Fighting Xenophobia – Who is My Neighbour’.
- Screen the films in the community and ask for their opinions about how their awareness of xenophobia changed due to the film.
- Develop a strategy for an ongoing film forum in Dunoon township.
Project coordinator: Christine Fyvie
Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org