Name of organization:
Society for Awareness, Harmony and Equal Rights (SAHER)
Description of organization:
SAHER works for peace across communities, enabling youth to become change agents through leadership and employability programs. The organization began its work in 2005 and is based in Mumbai, India.
The “Impressing Peace: Expressions of Sports and Creative Communication” project employs sports and creative communication to bring together adolescents and youth from across religious, gender, class and caste backgrounds to learn collectively. SAHER’s project targets young people who have grown up with stereotypes from living in the physical ghettoes that arose following communal conflict such as the Bombay Riots of 1992-1993.
By the end of the project, SAHER expects to:
- Expand the existing youth development program to a community leadership program, which will increase the capacity of 300 youth and 150 adults to use democratic tools in ensuring accountability in governance;
- Hold weekly football sessions leading to a community tournament with 100 young people, teaching them gender and identity; address stereotypes, democracy and citizenship issues;
- Train 20 youth in using media to express and engage communities in social action and intercultural interactions;
- Strengthen the existing Peace Week by involvement of 400 adolescents and 100 youth volunteers;
- Conduct an annual seminar on interfaith cooperation for civic and social development; and
- Establish a Rural Exchange Program for 50 young people who are already involved in the leadership program.
Sandhya Panaskar and Manasi More
Read More About the UNAOC Youth Solidarity Fund Here