Focal Points for the UNAOC
Encouraged by the UNAOC High Representative, members of the Group of Friends have appointed Focal Points for the Alliance in capitals and Headquarters. The Focal Points are officials mandated to facilitate, coordinate or keep abreast of the launch and implementation of National Plans and Strategies, as well as other activities related to the Alliance within their Governments and Headquarters. Each Focal Point acts as a prime liaison between a country or an organization, and the Alliance’s Secretariat in New York and office of the UNAOC High Representative in Lisbon. This official is also supporting the Alliance in outreaching to relevant civil society actors (including research and education institutions, religious communities, and media organizations and networks) in the country or region with which the Alliance seeks partnership.
Since 2007, over 100 Focal Points have been appointed by countries and international organizations, members of the Group of Friends.
To establish relationships and a sense of community among the Focal Points, discuss national initiatives, share best practices and promote cooperation between the members of the Group of Friends, the Alliance convenes regular meetings of the Focal Points. Such meetings are strongly supported by the Group of Friends and organized in partnership with its members who act as hosts. To learn more about the Focal Points Meeting, please see the following events on our history page:
- Paris Meeting, hosted by the Gulbenkian Foundation and in partnership with the Government of France, October 2008
- Istanbul Meeting, hosted by the Government of Turkey at the occasion of the Second Forum of the Alliance, April 2009
- Rabat Meeting, hosted by the ISESCO HQs, November 2009
- Rio Meeting, hosted by the Government of Brazil at the occasion of the Third Forum of the Alliance, May 2010
- Berlin Meeting, hosted by the Government of Germany, October 2010
- Lisbon Meeting, November 2011
The network of the Focal Points is reinforced through one-on-one telephone conversations with the Secretariat, bilateral meetings with the UNAOC High Representative and his staff, as well as regular updates shared among the Focal Points that encourage joint initiatives and collaborative efforts.