The Alliance Research Network is intended as a diverse collection of research centers and universities to serve as a collective think-tank for the Alliance, and be leaders of a movement to encourage cross-cultural educational exchange and research.
The Alliance Research Network brings together a small group of institutions from around the world who have interests in the areas of focus for the Alliance — education, media, migration, and youth plus other topics with special reference to cross-cultural understanding, good governance of cultural diversity, conflict resolution such as women and peacemaking, city diplomacy and other areas. The Network was formally launched at a working breakfast at the Istanbul Forum, April 6, 2009.
- Develop analysis papers on international political issues relevant to the objectives of the Alliance, in order to support the High Representative’s work.
- Provide input into the development of UNAOC Clearinghouse themes.
- Partner with UNAOC to manage the updating of content for Clearinghouse themes, in cooperation with the Research Manager.
- Assist in the development of the UNAOC’s Rapid Response Media Mechanism through suggesting experts for the Global Experts resource and Communities of Knowledge in specific areas of interest to the Alliance.
- Encourage efforts to expand international faculty and student exchanges.
- Host conferences dealing with Alliance of Civilizations themes.
Currently, 21 institutions/networks of institutions and research centers from around the world have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Alliance, delineating their involvement and participation in the Research Network. Members include
- Koc University (Turkey)
- Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (Spain)
- ESEADE (Argentina)
- Euro-Mediterranean University -EMUNI (Slovenia)
- Florida State University (USA)
- University of Birmingham (UK)
- Al Akhawayn University in Ifrane (Morocco)
- Centre for Peace Research and Strategic Studies at Katholieke Universiteit—Leuven (Belgium)
- Faculty of Arts, Monash University (Australia)
- Faculty of Law, Addis Ababa University (Ethiopia)
- Centre for Applied Cross-Cultural Research and Jesse Hetherington Centre for Educational Research, Victoria University (New Zealand)
- Forced Migration Studies Programme, University of the Witwatersrand (South Africa)
- Project for the Study of Religion, Culture and Peace at Bar-Ilan University (Israel)
- Global Political Trends Center (GPoT) – Istanbul Kultur University (Turkey)
- Euromed Permanent University Forum – EPUF (Spain)
- Research Center for Islamic History, Art and Culture – IRCICA (Turkey)
- Observatory for Human Security, CAPP/ISCSP (Portugal)
- Institute for the Study of Human Rights, Columbia University (USA)
- Simon Kuznets Institute for Self-organization and Development (Ukraine)
- Pitrim Sorokin-Nikolai Kondratieff International Institute (Russia)
- Center for Multicultural Education, Seoul National University (South Korea)