Administration Senior Assistant (Personal Assistant to the UNAOC High Representative)
Job categories: Administration
Vacancy code: VA/2023/B5004/26000
Department/office: NYPO, SDC, Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio
Duty station: New York, United States of America
Contract type: Local ICA Support
Contract level: LICA-5
Duration: Ongoing contract (subject to good performance, availability of funds, organizational requirements and project duration)
Application period: 08-May-2023 to 20-Jun-2023
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Please note that UNOPS will at no stage of the recruitment process request candidates to make payments of any kind.
Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness, and sustainability of peacebuilding, humanitarian, and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement, and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors, and United Nations organizations.
The New York Portfolios Office (NYPO) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.
The Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with peacebuilding, humanitarian, and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP). It provides Services to partners’ programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
UNOPS has signed an agreement with the United Nations to implement the activities for the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC)
The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is an initiative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, which responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security, and in their environmental, economic and financial well-being. The Alliance seeks to forge collective political will and mobilize concerted action at the institutional and civil society levels to overcome prejudice, misperceptions and polarization that militate against such a consensus. UNAOC hopes to contribute to a coalescing global movement which, reflecting the will of the vast majority of people, rejects extremism in any society.
The complex, demanding dialogue of civilizations, cultures, and religions is necessary, possible, and fruitful. It is a critical tool against isolation, mistrust, and confrontation and it is also the most powerful incentive for understanding, and tolerance. History has shown that dialogue is not a simple process, but that if we fail to teach and cultivate it, the situation can give way to a monologue or to mutism, which is conducive to conflict and violent extremism.
UNAOC was created to serve as a soft-power political tool of the United Nations Secretary-General for conflict prevention and conflict resolution. It is a coalition against extremist forces; a movement to advance mutual respect for cultures, traditions and religious beliefs, and a platform to bridge divides and overcome prejudice, misconceptions, misperceptions, and polarization. UNAOC was intended to promote collective action in society as a means of addressing the threats that emerge from the hostile perceptions that foment violence, overcoming cultural and social barriers, reducing tensions and improving relations between societies and communities with diverse cultural and religious backgrounds, and combating violent extremism.
Under the coordination of the Administration and Programme Operations Specialist and the direct supervision of the UNAOC Director, the incumbent’s duties will include:
Scheduling and Meetings:
- Coordinate schedules of UNAOC senior management; organize and confirm appointments;
- Conduct research, review and analysis of information and documents for UNAOC senior management;
- Synthesize and summarize information for UNAOC senior Management;
- Provide logistical support in setting up bilateral meetings of the UNAOC senior management on national and international levels; book bi-lateral meetings rooms at UNHQ and oversees as needed;
- Maintain records of all meeting requests and provide support in preparation of briefing materials for UNAOC senior management;
- When requested, serve as focal point for hospitality arrangements for High Representative’s meetings;
- Lead RSVP processes;
- Maintain and update database of UNAOC High Representatives contact lists;
- Provide support in drafting of briefing material and other documentation for the High Representative and his advisors; Assemble materials when/as needed;
- When requested, support communication with and coordination of activities such as events relevant to project activities in which the High Representative is engaged.
- Register UNAOC senior management in the high-level conferences; Liaise with organizers in terms of administrative and logistical support for UNAOC senior management;
- Prepare itineraries for the UNAOC senior management official missions; compile supporting documents; hold internal consultations and facilitate changes to the itineraries;
- Coordinate all High Representative’s accommodations; arrange for transpiration as needed;
- Compile and submit post mission travel documents in a timely fashion (boarding passes; receipts, guest lists; and etc.);
- Support the planning of the UNAOC senior management missions;
- Draft and/or assist in drafting of correspondence relevant to the High Representative;
- Prepare and/or coordinate briefing papers; speeches and detailed presentations or other materials as needed for UNAOC senior management;
- Arrange for the dispatch of the official correspondence to the addressee (regular mail, FedEx, faxing);
- Maintain and organize up to date hard and electronic files for easy access and retrieval.
- Ensure safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Maintain and timely update all contact directories of the High Representative.
Administration and Programming:
- Under the guidance of the Administration and Programme Operations Specialist, assist, support and follow-up with processing administrative tasks required for office operation;
- Assist the Admin and Programme Operations Specialist in managing the procurement processes, assist in preparing Terms of Reference/, drafting Requests for Quotation where required;
- Communicate with colleagues on the project team on areas requiring. verification, correction, additional information to improve quality of output and /or account submission and increase knowledge base in the process
- Provide administrative and logistical support to all UNAOC events on international and local level;
- Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the contractor’s scope of services above
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- The contractor will be supervised by the Administration and Programme Operations Specialist. The contractor and the supervisor will determine progress and the next step in mutual communication.
*FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
*CANDIDATES WITH NO UNITED NATIONS OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
- A secondary education is required.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher preferably in any of the following fields: international affairs, political science, multimedia design, information management, information technology, international education, or other related fields can be an asset.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience providing support to high level officials is required.
- Computer literacy with strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite is required;
Desirable experience (the following experience is optional candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply):
- Previous experience in the field of international development cooperation is an asset
- Familiarity with the work of the United Nations Organization, its mandate, main areas of focus, United Nations Bodies, etc.;
- Strong personal interest for issues related to multiculturalism; diversity and inclusion; identity; intercultural understanding and cooperation;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills; attention to detail; and determination to meet deadlines;
- Fluency in oral and written English and Spanish is required.
- Knowledge of other UN languages is desirable.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA)
Contract level: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (L-ICA 5- ICSC5)
Contract duration: Ongoing contract (subject to good performance, availability of funds, organizational requirements and project duration).
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.