ICT Officer – Web Graphic Designer
Job categories: IT
Vacancy code: VA/2021/B5004/21516
Department/office: NYSC, SDC, Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio
Duty station: Home-based
Contract type: International ICA
Contract level: IICA-1
Duration3 May 2021 – 30 July 2021 (Lumpsum contract)
Application period: 24-Mar-2021 to 07-Apr-2021
Deadline: 20 April 2021
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP) It provides Services to partners’ programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
UNOPS has signed an agreement with the United Nations to implement the project activities for the Alliance of civilization.
The “Peer-to-peer capacity-building training between Young Religious Leaders and Young Media Makers” seeks to enhance the capacity of young religious leaders and young media professionals to collaborate on social media to mediate sectarian tensions, to create meaningful messages to counter terrorist narratives, and to promote social cohesion. The project is being implemented in collaboration between the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) and the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT) / the United Nations Center on Counter-Terrorism (UNCCT).
Through capacity-building activities and exclusive conversations with high-level stakeholders, the project aims at strengthening participants’ knowledge and skills in using religious material and interreligious dialogue to counter terrorist narratives online, to mediate sectarian tensions, and promote social cohesion at the community level. Together, participants will work on creating and disseminating religious media literacy tools to counter terrorist narratives and to foster social cohesion. They will also become better equipped to advocate for stronger collaboration between media professionals, religious leaders, and policy makers in the field of interfaith dialogue.
In that context, UNOPS is looking for a Web Graphic Designer to assist with the development of a website or microsite, which will showcase the participants’ social media campaigns as well as the different outputs produced during the project.
The incumbent will work remotely and tentatively start on May 3, 2021. Evaluation of qualified candidates will include an assessment exercise, which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
The incumbent of this position will be a personnel of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
- Following the UNAOC and UNOCT/UNCCT branding guidelines and the project’s visual identity, the contractor will collaborate with the Web Developer to design the storyboard, wireframes, layout, data architecture, and general “look and feel” of a WordPress-powered microsite.
- The contractor will design all aspects of the web interface, and work with the Web Developer to ensure a user-friendly and user-centric interface, with particular emphasis on a responsive layout, mobile compliance, cross-device consistency, and an overall great UX/UI design.
- The contractor will create the visual design of the microsite, including a dynamic home page, a branded header, sidebar, content area, and footer, among others, as well as custom page/post templates, which the Web Developer will then translate into code.
- Using a custom WordPress theme developed for the microsite, the designer will populate the pages/posts with content and ensure that they are displayed in an aesthetic, visually compelling way while also being compliant with usability standards. Content will include, for example, the various outputs produced by participants and other multimedia assets as curated by UNAOC and UNOCT/UNCCT.
- The designer will assist the Web Developer in ensuring that the microsite features are presented in a visually pleasing way.
- The contractor will transform text-based communications materials (glossary, toolkit, recommendations) into digital graphic design materials and publish these on the website.
- The contractor will develop digital social media cards and other design assets to support the project’s communication strategy.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Milestone 1: Wireframes of website design and layout completed and approved by UNAOC and UNOCT/UNCCT, to be then developed by an independent Web Developer into a WordPress theme (May 15, 2021)
- Milestone 2: Website populated with initial content for the core pages (including the core layout of the microsite) and submitted and approved by UNAOC (June 15, 2021)
- Milestone 3: Additional digital assets completed and published on the website (July 2, 2021)
- Milestone 4: Social media cards and design elements to promote the project and/or related event (July 30, 2021)
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in graphic design, web design, UX/UI design, information technology, digital arts, visual design, or any other related qualifications.
- A minimum of 2 years of work experience in graphic design and/or web design.
- Excellent graphic design and creative skills.
- Experience in designing interfaces for WordPress-powered websites.
- Strong theoretical and practical background in graphic design, including the use of design software such as the Adobe Creative Suite, or similar.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, including Adobe PhotoShop, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Illustrator. Experience with Adobe XD a plus.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
- At least 3 examples of previous works, including web and print projects, to be listed in the application. Submission of full design portfolio is encouraged, but not required.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International Individual Contractual Agreement (IICA)
Contract level: IICA-1/ ICSC-8
Contract duration: 3 May 2021 – 30 July 2021 (Lumpsum contract)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work-life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
- Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.