ICT Officer – WordPresss Web Developer
Job categories: IT
Vacancy code: VA/2021/B5004/21512
Department/office: NYSC, SDC, Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio
Duty station: Home based
Contract type: International ICA
Contract level: IICA-1
Duration: 3 May 2021 – 30 June 2021 (Lumpsum contract)
Application period:24-Mar-2021 to 07-Apr-2021
Deadline: 20 April 2021
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP) It provides Services to partners’ programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
UNOPS has signed an agreement with the United Nations to implement the project activities for the Alliance of Civilization.
The “Peer-to-peer capacity-building training between Young Religious Leaders and Young Media Makers” seeks to enhance the capacity of young religious leaders and young media professionals to collaborate on social media to mediate sectarian tensions, to create meaningful messages to counter terrorist narratives, and to promote social cohesion. The project is being implemented in collaboration between the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) and the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT) / the United Nations Center on Counter-Terrorism (UNCCT).
Through capacity-building activities and exclusive conversations with high-level stakeholders, the project aims at strengthening participants’ knowledge and skills in using religious material and interreligious dialogue to counter terrorist narratives online, to mediate sectarian tensions, and promote social cohesion at the community level. Together, participants will work on creating and disseminating religious media literacy tools to counter terrorist narratives and to foster social cohesion. They will also become better equipped to advocate for stronger collaboration between media professionals, religious leaders, and policymakers in the field of interfaith dialogue.
In that context, UNOPS looking for a web developer to develop a branded website or microsite, which will showcase the participants’ social media campaigns as well as the different outputs produced during the project.
The incumbent will work remotely and tentatively start on May 3, 2021. Evaluation of qualified candidates will include an assessment exercise, which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
The incumbent of this position will be a personnel of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
- Following the UNAOC and UNOCT/UNCCT branding guidelines and the project’s visual identity, the consultant will work with the designated Web Designer to develop a custom WordPress theme for a microsite based on pre-agreed design specifications. The theme must be scalable, responsive, lightweight, compliant with current web usability standards, and compatible with all browsers and devices.
- The consultant will develop and deploy code for a custom WordPress theme based on the storyboard, wireframes, layout, and data architecture designed by the Web Designer and approved by UNAOC.
- The consultant must ensure that the microsite is compatible with the WP 5.7 branch (and newer iterations), PHP 7.4 or greater, and MySql5.6. The theme must be compatible with upcoming WP updates without requiring any major development changes.
- The consultant must create a barebones child theme, which will be used for minor layout customizations without impacting the core code.
- The consultant will be responsible for front-end and back-end development on the Content Management System (CMS), i.e. WordPress.
- He/She will develop the following features on the microsite, either as built-in features in the custom theme (through modified functions.php) or through the use of existing plugins and/or custom plugins:
- RSS feed display
- Social media sharing capability – including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, TikTok, etc.
- Multiple page templates, including full-width, left-sidebar, right-sidebar, etc. based on design specifications
- Index/archive templates for custom post types and taxonomies
- Integration of multilingual options in resources and guidance templates
- Search function and/or post filter by news, type of publication/guidance, type of resource, events, country story, issue, plus any additional taxonomies and categories
- Interactive, responsive, and scalable map showing the location of project participants
- Code optimized for Search Engines
- The consultant will provide administrative and technical support of the microsite and ensure full source code handover (all developed templates, libraries, plugins, as well as raw design materials e.g. PSD, INDD, AI, XD if applicable).
- The consultant will install, configure, test, and deploy the WordPress theme on UNAOC servers, and provide troubleshooting when necessary.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Milestone 1: Functioning custom WordPress theme deployed and live (May 31, 2021)
- Milestone 2: Version 2 deployed with pages populated with content (June 10, 2021)
- Milestone 3: Final microsite approval from UNAOC and UNOCT/UNCCT (June 20, 2021), following which the microsite goes live.
- Bachelor’s university degree preferably in web development, information technology, computer science, or other related fields.
- A minimum 4 years of work experience in web development, particularly in WordPress or related CMS.
- Verified experience in WordPress.
- Fluent in HTML, CSS, PHP, and MySql.
- Familiarity with Apache servers a plus.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
- At least 3 examples of live and current WordPress projects must be included in the application. Include source code verification of your work (such as including your name in style.css, or other methods).
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International Individual Contractual Agreement (IICA-1)
Contract level: IICA-1/ICSC-9
Contract duration: 3 May 2021 – 30 June 2021 (Lumpsum)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
- Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.