Job categories: IT
Vacancy code: VA/2021/B5004/21079
Department/office: NYSC, SDC, Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio
Duty station: Home-based
Contract type: International ICA
Contract level: IICA-1
Duration: ASAP – 31 March 2021
(Retainer modality – possibility of extension if funds available)
Application period: 20-Jan-2021 to 24-Feb-2021
Deadline: 24 February 2021
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP) It provides Services to partners’ programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) seeks to reduce tensions across cultural divides that threaten to inflame existing political conflicts or trigger new ones. Through preventive diplomacy initiatives, it works at grassroots level, promoting education, youth, media and migration projects aimed at building trust and respect among diverse communities.
The Alliance was established in 2005, at the initiative of the Governments of Spain and Turkey, under the auspices of the United Nations. On 7 January 2019, H.E. Miguel Ángel Moratinos was appointed by the United Nations Secretary General to succeed Nassir Abdulaziz Al Nasser, former President of the General Assembly, and Jorge Sampaio, former President of Portugal, as High Representative of the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations. UNAOC is supported by a Group of Friends – a community of over 130 member countries and international organizations and bodies. The UNAOC Secretariat, based in New York, NY, is funded by multiple donors, with operations level support provided by UNOPS.
UNOPS is looking for a contractor to assist UNAOC with migrating up to 10TB of files from Box.com to Google Drive. The files include, among others, documents, worksheets, photos, videos, graphics, etc. The contractor must ensure that all files are migrated into their specific folders, and that the naming and filing conventions are retained accordingly. The contractor is responsible for cross-checking and cross-referencing all files and folders within the two file sharing platforms.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting the implementation of UNAOC. The incumbent of this position will be personnel of UNOPS under its full administrative and financial responsibility.
- Work with different individuals to assist gathering business requirements for a data migration to Google Drive
- Learn the data migration workflow, execute tasks, and troubleshoot issues as they arise
- Learn and master the naming and filing structure of all folders within the Shared Drive, as well as within each individual’s personal Drive
- Engage with internal teams as an expert in data migration
- Coordinate with multiple parties to ensure timely and satisfactory resolution to technical issues, and completion of projects
- Regularly meet with internal departments to review feature requirements, current issues, and plans to improve
- Migrate up to 10TB of data from one Box.com to Google Drive, and ensure that each file and folder has been migrated successfully
- Support all colleagues with migration of files to the Shared Drive as well as their personal Drive
- Cross-check all data from one cloud platform to the other
- Provide recommendations to improve file management efficiencies within the organization
- Provide recommendations for automated back-ups and failsafe procedures to avoid data loss
- Improve existing file management workflows and procedures
- Ensure zero downtime or disruptions to normal everyday operations during the data migration process
*FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
*CANDIDATES WITH NO UNITED NATIONS OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in database management, knowledge management, information technology, computer science, and other related fields
- A minimum of two year of progressively relevant experience in the field of database management, knowledge management, or information and communications technology
- Previous experience working with the UN or similar organizations on projects in the area of ICT will be an asset.
- Experience with business systems and information analysis in a global setting supporting diverse country teams will be an asset.
- Fluency in English is required (written and verbal)
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
- Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International Individual Contractual Agreement – ICA retainer modality. A retainer contract is issued for a period of time during which the services of the individual contractor are required intermittently. The individual contractor agreement on retainer basis will specify a “unit price” per day worked. For budgetary purposes, a monetary cap will be determined when the contract is awarded and issued. Please note that the retainer contract will not provide for a minimum, and payment will be made only after completion of work
Contract level: IICA-1/ICSC-8
Contract duration: ASAP – 31 March 2021 (Retainer modality – possibility of extension if funds available)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.