United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is an initiative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, which responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security, and in their environmental, economic and financial well-being. The Alliance seeks to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action at the institutional and civil society levels to overcome the prejudice, misperceptions and polarization that militate against such a consensus. UNAOC hopes to contribute to a coalescing global movement which, reflecting the will of the vast majority of people, rejects extremism in any society.
On November 5-6 2018, the Alliance will organize the 8th Global Forum. Nearly 1,200 participants (state and non-state representatives) are expected to take part in the Forum and engage in various working sessions, plenaries and other important sessions.
An Organizing Committee for the 8th Global Forum of UNAOC has been set up to oversee all substantive and logistical preparations of the Forum. It will seek assistance from a number of short-term external experts and support consultants, who will help to ensure smooth and timely delivery of expected milestones and outcomes of the Forum.
In preparation for its 8th Global Forum, UNAOC will recruit a short-term consultant, whose prime responsibilities will include the following:
- Liaise with the United Nations headquarters departments and offices responsible for logistical and administrative support (special events unit, Protocol, Security, Meetings management, Interpretation section, BCSS, DPI, etc.);
- Organize and coordinate preparatory meetings with relevant offices on procedural and organizational arrangements for the Forum.
- Ensure all logistical and technical requirements for the Forum sessions (opening, closing, GoF, breakout sessions, alumni/youth event, cultural event, etc.) are collected from the UNAOC organizing committee members and arranged for by the relevant United Nations headquarters departments according to the Forum’s programme and schedule.
- Organize and maintain relevant reference material and background documents related to the Forum.
- Coordinate issuance of UN ID/event tickets/access cards for the Forum participants with the UN Security, Protocol and UNOPS; ensure timely distribution of the access cards and events tickets to the Forum participants.
- Coordinate provision of interpretation services in 6 UN languages for the main segments of the Forum.
- Act as the main contact between UNAOC and the UN Protocol on the accreditation process of official delegations to the Forum.
- Liaise with the catering service provider to ensure all catering needs of the Forum are duly provided (lunches, dinners, coffee breaks, etc.).
- Following consultations with relevant United Nations headquarters departments, collect cost estimates for logistical services required for the Forum and liaise with the Forum Organizing Committee to ensure timely payment is processed to vendors.
- Contribute to the overall work of the UNAOC Secretariat and take on additional tasks as and when needed.
University degree in business administration, management, communication, social sciences, international relations or related field is required.
Work experience and Skills
- At least 5 years of experience in providing logistical and administrative support to the high-level officials.
- At least 5 years of experience in conference management and logistical arrangements of various types of high-level events at the international level (workshops, conferences, ceremonies, etc.).
- Very strong attention to details, excellent communication and coordination skills.
- Ability to work on multiple assignments with time-sensitive deadlines.
- Ability to work in a multicultural and international environment; good knowledge of the UN system mechanisms and UN agencies’ mandates, knowledge and experience in UN rules and procedures are assets.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Word, Excel, Power Point and databases.
Fluency in both spoken and written English; working knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
How to Apply
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 10 July 2018. The subject of your email should contain the title of the post that you are applying for.
Your application should include, at a minimum: a letter of motivation (strictly no longer than 1 page) and resume / curriculum vitae. Please also indicate your daily rate.
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight New York Time (EST) on the closing date of the announcement.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted by email.