United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is an initiative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, which responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security, and in their environmental, economic and financial well-being. The Alliance seeks to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action at the institutional and civil society levels to overcome the prejudice, misperceptions and polarization that militate against such a consensus. UNAOC hopes to contribute to a coalescing global movement which, reflecting the will of the vast majority of people, rejects extremism in any society.
On November 5-6 2018, the Alliance will organize the 8th Global Forum. Nearly 1,200 participants (state and non-state representatives) are expected to take part in the Forum and engage in various working sessions, plenaries and other important sessions.
An Organizing Committee for the 8th Global Forum of UNAOC has been set up to oversee all substantive and logistical preparations of the Forum. It will seek assistance from a number of short-term external experts and support consultants, who will help to ensure smooth and timely delivery of expected milestones and outcomes of the Forum.
In preparation for its 8th Global Forum, UNAOC will recruit a short-term consultant, whose prime responsibilities will include the following:
- Support the UNAOC team in drafting, editing and proof-reading of all materials that will be posted on the website of the Global Forum (including, but not limited to concept notes, brochures, lists of participants, press-releases, biographies, etc.);
- Assist in creation, editing and retouching photographs and videos;
- Map major media outlets and compile names of journalists which could be relevant for the Forum and could be invited to cover the event, or play a moderating role in it;
- Assist with social media campaign around the Forum (twitter and facebook messages);
- Perform other relevant duties as required by the head of the Forum Task Force.
- Professionalism – shows pride in work and in achievements, motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- Accountability – is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Creativity – ability to convey concepts in the most effective and visually appealing manner; ability to innovate and develop out-of-the-box ideas
- Detail-oriented – meticulous attention to detail, ensuring maximum accuracy in all tasks
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges, remains calm in stressful situations;
- Effective written and oral communication and presentation skills, tailoring language, tone, style and format to match audience;
- Ability to originate or edit written content, for public and media use;
- Effective listener, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, media studies, journalism, international relations, international development, marketing, or another related field.
Work experience and Skills
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in one or more of the following areas: journalism, public relations, advocacy, international relations, marketing, development, advertising, digital communications, multimedia agencies, or another relevant field;
- Experience in media relations using traditional and social media, multi-media and a variety of platforms;
- Experience in organization of large scale events, preferably at the international level;
- Familiarity with the work of the United Nations Organization, its mandate, main areas of focus; United Nations bodies, agencies, entities and departments;
- Must have an active presence in major social media platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, and LinkedIn;
- Experience with the WordPress Content Management System, plus basic knowledge of HTML5 and CSS, will be an advantage;
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign an asset.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
How to Apply
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 10 July 2018. The subject of your email should contain the title of the post that you are applying for.
Your application should include, at a minimum: a letter of motivation (strictly no longer than 1 page), resume or curriculum vitae, and 2-4 sample works. Please include links to your active social media profiles. Please also indicate your daily rate.
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight New York Time (EST) on the closing date of the announcement.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted by email.