United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is an initiative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, which responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security, and in their environmental, economic and financial well-being. The Alliance seeks to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action at the institutional and civil society levels to overcome the prejudice, misperceptions and polarization that militate against such a consensus. UNAOC hopes to contribute to a coalescing global movement which, reflecting the will of the vast majority of people, rejects extremism in any society.
On November 5-6 2018, the Alliance will organize the 8th Global Forum. Nearly 1,200 participants (state and non-state representatives) are expected to take part in the Forum and engage in various working sessions, plenaries and other important sessions.
An Organizing Committee for the 8th Global Forum of UNAOC has been set up to oversee all substantive and logistical preparations of the Forum. It will seek assistance from a number of short-term external experts and support consultants, who will help to ensure smooth and timely delivery of expected milestones and outcomes of the Forum.
In preparation for its 8th Global Forum, UNAOC will recruit a short-term consultant, whose prime responsibilities will include the following:
- Forum Programme and Concept Note:
- Conduct research on the issues of violent extremism and its prevention (PVE); challenges of conflicts based on ethnic, religious or cultural differences, and ways to address them; peacebuilding practices, methods and trends on local, regional and international levels; role of civil society, media, UN institutions in preventing conflicts based on the principles of tolerance, dialogue and promotion of a culture of peace;
- Contribute substantive inputs to the concept note of the Forum on PVE and related topics;
- Assist in collecting potential speakers and moderators’ bios, contact and other information that would be required for their participation in the Forum;
- Support outreach efforts to secure participation of the prominent experts and high level personalities in the Forum;
- Provide logistical and coordination support during the Forum, as requested;
- Participate in working sessions of the Forum Organizing Committee and follow up on the various assignments determined by the organizers.
- Forum Plenary and Breakout Sessions:
- Assist in drafting concept notes of the breakout and plenary sessions of the Forum that would focus on PVE and related topics;
- In line with the approved Forum Programme, conduct research on PVE policies, measures undertaken by governments and international organizations to date; compile data and research names of experts and personalities which may be invited to contribute to the sessions focusing on PVE and related topics;
- Facilitate communication between a moderator and selected speakers of the plenary and breakout sessions, to ensure smooth preparation from content and coordination perspectives;
- Consolidate the main outcomes, reports and recommendations made during the Forum and assist with drafting the keynote remarks of the UNAOC High Representative.
- Perform other relevant duties as required by the Head of the Organizing Committee.
- Professionalism – shows pride in work and in achievements, motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- Accountability – is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges, remains calm in stressful situations;
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Effective written and oral communication and presentation skills, tailoring language, tone, style and format to match audience;
- Effective listener, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals, solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise, and is willing to learn from others;
- Supports and acts in accordance with the final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.
- Master’s degree in peace studies, social sciences, political science, international relations, international development, public administration, or another related field.
Work experience and Skills
- A minimum of seven years of professional experience in the field of preventing and countering violent extremism, addressing growing radicalization and terrorism across the regions;
- Experience in organization of large scale events, preferably at the international level;
- Knowledge of key research institutions and think tanks; UN agencies and entities, as well as other international organizations that are directly mandated to or support efforts in preventing/countering violent extremism, whether on policy or programmes levels (including, but not limiting to UNDPA, UNCTITF, CTED, etc.);
- Knowledge of the existing legislation, United Nations Security Council resolutions and policies adopted by the international community on preventing/countering violent extremism, including the United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy and its current status of implementation;
- Knowledge of the work of the United Nations Organization, its mandate, main areas of focus; United Nations bodies, agencies, entities and departments; current priorities issues.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
How to Apply
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 5 July 2018. The subject of your email should contain the title of the post that you are applying for.
Your application should include, at a minimum: a letter of motivation (strictly no longer than 1 page), resume / curriculum vitae and 3 samples of your writing (articles, concept notes, background documents, reports, etc.). Please also indicate your daily rate.
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight New York Time (EST) on the closing date of the announcement.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted by email.