Political Analyst and Public Information Officer
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
- ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Background Information – Job-specific
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services.
The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations, an initiative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security, and in their environmental, economic and financial well-being. The Alliance seeks to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action at the institutional and civil society levels to overcome the prejudice, misperceptions and polarization that militate against such a consensus. The Alliance contributes to a global movement that rejects violent extremism.
UNAOC’s Secretariat is based in New York, NY. UNAOC is funded by multiple donors and supported by UNOPS.
Under the supervision of the Director, UNAOC, the Political Analyst & Public Information Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Identify, analyze and monitor political developments, trends and emerging issues in relevant geographic areas and in UN common System relating to relevant thematic areas and advise senior management on possible policy implications relevant to UNAOC activities.
- Produce accurate and timely reports, analysis, and briefings that inform senior leaders’ decision-making, policy development, and planning.
- Ensure policy coherence on UNAOC project activities by mainstreaming UNAOC project activities into the broader UN agenda.
- Engage with Project Managers during project design, development and implementation phases to ensure coherence with UN policies and maximize impact.
- Serve as UNAOC representative for meetings at UNHQ as required including, but not limited to, subject specific task forces
- Research and gather a wide range of materials for the UNAOC website, including articles and video clips.
- Monitor and analyze media coverage of the UNAOC and related initiatives.
Reporting and Drafting:
- Prepare speeches, talking points for the High Representative and other officials including the UN Secretary-General as required.
- Prepare, edit, compile and draft reports for use with Secretariat offices and departments, as well as reports for use with members of the Group of Friends, including but limited to, newsletters, annual reports or other inputs
- Draft contextual information materials, such as background notes, political profiles and databases of relevance to UNAOC activities; Manage information to ensure its accessibility and utility
- Develop and implement in conjunction with Project Managers communication and outreach strategies and plans related to specific programs and projects; monitor and analyze the impact of the strategies/action plans;
- Develop and edit materials, in conjunction with the Web and Multimedia Communications Specialist to be published on the UNAOC website as well as printed materials including brochures, flyers or other items;
- Prepare and edit a range of media related and other materials including preparation of summary and analytical reports, briefing notes, project proposals, and input for reports made by request of the Senior Management.
- Perform other relevant duties as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in political science, international relations, social sciences, law, public administration, or a related fields is required
- A first level university degree (Bachelor) with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master’s degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in political affairs, international relations, humanitarian affairs, rule of law, diplomacy, or related fields.
- Experience in political analysis, advice and reporting at the international level is required, experience in public information is highly desirable
- Knowledge of UN Issues including those relating to conflict is required- experience working on conflict related issues required.
- Candidates with prior work experience at the UN will have a distinct advantage.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of Arabic or another UN official language is an advantage.
- Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Fixed Term Agreement (FTA)
- Contract level: P3
- Contract duration: One year
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link:
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.