Project Management Specialist – Youth and Education
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – Job-specific
The UN Alliance of Civilizations seeks to reduce tensions across cultural divides that threaten to inflame existing political conflicts or trigger new ones. Through preventive diplomacy initiatives, it works at grassroots level, promoting education, youth, media and migration projects aimed at building trust and respect among diverse communities.
The Alliance was established in 2005, at the initiative of the Governments of Spain and Turkey, under the auspices of the United Nations. In March 2013, Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser, former President of the General Assembly, was appointed by the United Nations Secretary-General to succeed Jorge Sampaio, former President of Portugal, as High Representative for the Alliance. UNAOC is supported by a Group of Friends – a community of over 120 member countries and international organizations and bodies. The UNAOC Secretariat, based in New York, NY, is funded by multiple donors, with operations-level support provided by UNOPS
Background Information – Job-specific
Under the coordination of the Program Management Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Director, UNAOC, the Project Management Specialist duties will include:
- Coordinate training organization and curriculum development for selected organizations on various topics;
- Design, implement and coordinate new project activity across the full spectrum of the UNAOC pillars of activity (Youth, Education, Media, and Migration), with an emphasis on youth and education projects;
- Engage in the development and expansion of partnerships with research bodies, think-tanks, civil society groups and universities to build and expand on potential content areas (especially gender issues); research and develop new areas featuring best practices and resources on cross-cultural dialogue;
- Draft new initiatives in accordance with internal procedures to participation of selected organizations in various events of the Alliance and partners;
- As appropriate, participate in the selection of the projects related to competitive processes. Subtasks can include: creation of a comprehensive database; participate in fundraising efforts, coordination of process of selecting jury members and liaison with them; short listing of projects; presentation of short-listed projects to the selection panel; drafting of a summary report on the selection process; establishment of direct liaison with selected projects;
- Responsible for actively monitoring the financial aspects of the assigned project including keeping progress report of budget execution and drafting reports to the donors. Actively provide support to all logistics needed for project activities while working closely with the Administrative Associate.
- Draft TORs for services and liaise with vendors as needed including collecting vendor forms.
- Maintain records, file and organize documents regarding project operations.
- Liaise with UN departments and agencies in order to maintain policy relevance and identify innovative and entrepreneurial practices;
- Coordinate website and other electronic (internet, social media, etc.) outreach efforts with the Communications staff;
- Where appropriate, follow up with the selected organizations, providing technical support and expertise;
- Assist communications team when relevant to monitor and track stories about achievements of organizations or individuals supported by UNAOC;
- Support communications team and provide input for the communications team to produce communication materials pertaining to assigned project activities;
- Incorporate a consultation process with stakeholders and partners from different regions;
- Ensure use of best practices in the monitoring and assessment of all UNAOC projects;
- Monitor the full field of international project activity by international and regional organizations as well as NGOs involving innovative grassroots projects, with a focus on intercultural understanding;
- Contribute to the overall work of the UNAOC Secretariat and take on additional tasks as and when needed.
- Excellent analytical, research and drafting skills;
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills; excellent presentation skills;
- Excellent skills in all phases of project management (design, drafting, implementation, follow-up);
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit;
- Strong attention to details;
- Ability to harmoniously work in a team to achieve organizational goals;
- Ability to work in a multicultural and international environment;
- Ability to work well under pressure and to meet tight deadlines;
- Master’s Degree in international relations, international education, social sciences, human rights or public policy.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in international relations, particularly matters related to the United Nations, and intercultural issues, including trends in the fields of cross-cultural dialogue and international education;
- Knowledge of youth issues, international education issues and gender issues in an international context;
- 3 to 5 years of relevant work experience in project support or management or organization of large-scale events;
- 1-2 years of work experience with international organizations or international non-governmental organizations;
- Experience with research management, analysis and drafting of documents on complex issues;
- Fluency in both spoken and written English; working knowledge of another UN language is an asset;
- IT proficiency.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: International Individual Consultant Agreement(IICA)
- Contract level:IICA-2
- Contract duration:ASAP – 31 December 2017
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.