Terms of Reference: Migration Program Intern/Volunteer
- Post Title: Migration Program Intern/Volunteer – unpaid
- Post Level: Internship/Volunteer
- Org Unit: United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC)
- Duty Station: New York, NY
- Duration: 2-4 months
- Closing Date: March 20, 2012
The Alliance of Civilizations launched by the Office of the Secretary-General of the United Nations and co-sponsored by the Governments of Spain and Turkey, responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security. The Alliance seeks to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action at the institutional and civil society levels to overcome the prejudice, misperceptions and polarization that militate against such a consensus. The Alliance hopes to contribute to a coalescing global movement which, reflecting the will of the vast majority of people, rejects extremism in any society.
The intern will work under the direct, overall supervision of the UNAOC Migration Program’s Project and Research Officer (and for technical matters concerning Web & Multimedia, intern will coordinate with Web & Multimedia Manager).
Specific intern responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Integration: Building Inclusive Societies (IBIS) component:
- Monitor news relevant to IBIS and add relevant items to database;
- Research Potential partners for IBIS clearinghouse (journalists, photographers, researchers);
- Assist with updates of Ibis website;
- Communicate with Ibis web developer’s team on Ibis redesign.
Migration Program component:
- Produce some visual material (photographs, videos) for the migration program;
- Research current state of knowledge; key debates; and influential and upcoming faculty, policy-makers, and NGO leaders, in the migration and integration area;
- Support specific projects developed by the migration program;
- Assist with other communication and logistical needs for the migration department, particularly in reference to the 2013 Vienna Forum.
Skills and Qualifications
- Currently enrolled in an advanced university degree program (i.e. master’s degree or equivalent) ;
- Applicants must have an excellent knowledge of English with advanced written and verbal skills. Knowledge of other languages is an advantage;
- Experience in policies and issues related to migration and integration;
- Strong knowledge of Photoshop, Final cut pro, Audition, Soundslides, Motion, InDesign and Illustrator
- Previous experience with content management systems, Specifically WordPress.
- Social media experience using Facebook
- Excellent organizational and communication skills; attention to detail; and determination to meet deadlines;
Submission of Applications
Qualified candidates may submit their application including a letter of interest; complete Curriculum Vitae; and an updated United Nations Personal History Form P11 (http://www.unops.org/english/whoweneed/Pages/Employmentoverview.aspx ) via e-mail to email@example.com. Kindly indicate the vacancy title in the subject line when applying by email.
The first lines of the email application must state the following in this exact format:
- First Name:
- Last Name:
- Gender: (male / female)
- Years of relevant experience:
- Degrees / Industry Certifications: (abbreviation and name of school/college/univ)
- Current / Last position title:
UNAOC reserve the right to reject any application without the above format in the submission email.