Terms of Reference: Education Intern/ Volunteer
Post Title: Education Intern/Volunteer – unpaid
Post Level: Internship/Volunteer
Org Unit: UN Alliance of Civilizations
Duty Station: New York, NY
Duration: 3 – 4 months
Closing Date: 21 April 2012
The Alliance of Civilizations launched by the Office of the Secretary-General of the United Nations and co-sponsored by the Governments of Spain and Turkey, responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security. The Alliance seeks to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action at the institutional and civil society levels to overcome the prejudice, misperceptions and polarization that militate against such a consensus. The Alliance hopes to contribute to a coalescing global movement which, reflecting the will of the vast majority of people, rejects extremism in any society.
The intern will work under the direct, overall supervision of the UNAOC Media and Information Literacy Project Manager. Specific intern responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Media and Information Literacy Education:
· Support, review and coordinate uploading of new content on MIL Clearinghouse
· Support communication with related initiatives and partners
· Assist with MIL Forum session(s)
· Assist with communication with partners of the UNESCO UNITWIN UNAOC Global University Network on Media and Information Literacy and Intercultural Dialogue (UAC-MILID)
· Assist with logistical details of UAC-MILID’s activities (conferences, publications, etc.)
PLURAL+ Youth Video Festival on Migration, Diversity and Social Inclusion:
· Assist with the organization and other logistical details for the 2012 PLURAL + selection process and Award Ceremony
· Assist with the launching and outreach of PLURAL+ 2012
· Assist with the distribution of PLURAL+ 2011 Program
· Assist with updates of PLURAL+ website
· Communicate with PLURAL + partners and participants
Skills and Qualifications:
· Currently enrolled in an advanced university degree program (i.e. master’s degree or equivalent)
· Applicants must have an excellent knowledge of English with advanced written and verbal skills. Knowledge of other languages is an advantage.
· Excellent organizational and communication skills; attention to detail; and determination to meet deadlines.
· Computer literacy with strong knowledge of Online Content Management Systems (such as WordPress) and Microsoft Office Suite.
· Previous experience with social media, and strong event organization skills is highly desirable.
Submission of Applications:
Qualified candidates may submit their application including a letter of interest; complete Curriculum Vitae; and an updated United Nations Personal History Form P11 http://www.unops.org/english/whoweneed/Pages/Employmentoverview.aspx via e-mail to . Kindly indicate the vacancy title in the subject line when applying by email.
The first lines of the email application must state the following in this exact format:
Gender: (male / female)
Years of relevant experience:
Degrees / Industry Certifications: (abbreviation and name of school/college/uni).
Current / Last position title:
UNAOC reserve the right to reject any application without the above format in the submission email.
Covering letter should follow in the body of the email submission. You may use formatted email.
· Multiple positions are available throughout 2012. We would like to have the first intern commence in May.
· Applying early is an advantage as qualified candidates will be reviewed immediately.
· The successful incumbent will be offered an internship agreement or a volunteer agreement.
· Interns and volunteers at UNAOC do not receive any remuneration. As such, interns are responsible for all cost associated with the internship, including but not limited to, cost of insurance coverage, travel and accommodation.
· Interns and volunteers are responsible for arranging their own travel and securing any necessary visas.