The first Partners Forum for the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations took place in Istanbul on May 31 and June 1, at the invitation of Prime Minister Erdoğan of Turkey. This major event brought together governments, intergovernmental organizations as well as businesses, foundations and individuals who have shown a strong commitment to realizing the vision of a world free from intercultural conflicts and divides, where cultural diversity is an asset and not a liability. The Forum was co-chaired by UNSG Ban Ki-moon.
During the Forum, partners discussed the results achieved by the Alliance and addressed a number of issues including the long-term resource needs, the immediate requirements for 2012 and 2013, and the current UNAOC priorities for action, including the new projects related to the outcomes of the previous global forums. Partners pledged financial or in kind support, or to otherwise make a commitment to action. After 5 years of operations, the conference was, as expected, a turning point.
For more information please visit the website for the Istanbul 2012 Partners Forum http://www.aocistanbul.org
Additionally please find direct links to key documents below:
- UNAOC Promotional Brochure
- UNAOC Project Descriptions
- A Note with logistical information [doc]
- A draft Agenda
- A Pledge Form [doc] or
- Commitments to Action Form [doc]
- Istanbul Partners Forum Questions & Answers
- A copy of the Report on the Doha Forum
- Regional Strategy on Intercultural Dialogue and Cooperation in South Eastern Europe
- South Eastern Europe Second Action Plan
- High Representative’s Talking Points – Istanbul Partners Forum, Pledging Conference