Post Title: Strategic Development and Partnerships Intern/Volunteer – unpaid
Post Level: Internship/Volunteer
Org Unit: UN Alliance of Civilizations
Duty Station: New York, NY
Duration: 2-4 months
Closing Date: June 25, 2012
The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is an initiative of the UN Secretary-General which aims to improve understanding and cooperative relations among nations and peoples across cultures and religions. It also helps to counter the forces that fuel polarization and extremism. The UNAOC was established in 2005, at the initiative of Spain and Turkey, under the auspices of the United Nations and under the leadership of Jorge Sampaio, former President of Portugal, as High Representative for the UNAOC. The Alliance seeks to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action at the institutional and civil society levels to overcome the prejudice, misperceptions and polarization that militate against such a consensus.
The intern will work under the direct, overall supervision of the UNAOC Senior Advisor, Strategic Development and Partnerships. Specific intern responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1) The Intercultural Innovation Award / WIFI
- Assist the task manager in the 2012 selection process.
- Assist in keeping records, filing and organizing documents regarding the organizations presenting the projects.
- Research and assemble lists of potential sponsors and partners.
- Reach out to dissemination and media partners.
- Monitor and trackstories about achievements reached through the WIFI.
- Populate content to the website and administrate social media.
2) UNAOC Fellowship program
- Assist the task manager in the preparation of the Fall edition of the Fellowship program
- Prepare background notes and information
3) Assistance to the Senior Advisor
- Assist in the preparation of the UNAOC annual Forum in Vienna.
- Assist in the development of new UNAOC programs in Asia ( China; India )
- Write notes and do research on various topics and projects related to strategic development and partnerships
Skills and Qualifications:
- Currently enrolled in an advanced university degree program (i.e. master’s degree or equivalent).
- Strong personal interest for issues related to multiculturalism; diversity and inclusion; identity-based conflict ; intercultural understanding and cooperation.
- Applicants must have an excellent knowledge of English with advanced written and verbal skills. Knowledge of other languages is an asset.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills; attention to detail; and determination to meet deadlines.
- Creative, innovative, entrepreneurial mind.
- Computer literacy with strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Word Press.
- Previous experience with content management systems, social media, and strong event organization skills is highly desirable.
Submission of Applications:
Qualified candidates may submit their application including: a letter of interest; complete Curriculum Vitae; and an updated United Nations Personal History Form P11 http://www.unops.org/english/whoweneed/Pages/Employmentoverview.aspx via e-mail to email@example.com. Kindly indicate the vacancy title “Strategic Development and Partnerships Intern” in the subject line when applying by email.
The first lines of the email application must state the following in this exact format:
Gender: (male / female)
Years of relevant experience:
Degrees / Industry Certifications: (abbreviation and name of school/college/uni).
Current / Last position title:
UNAOC reserves the right to reject any application without the above format in the submission email. Covering letter should follow in the body of the email submission.
- We would like to have the intern commence in August 2012.
- Applying early is an advantage as qualified candidates will be reviewed immediately.
- The selected candidate will be offered an internship agreement or a volunteer agreement.
- Interns and volunteers at UNAOC do not receive any remuneration. As such, interns are responsible for all costs associated with the internship, including but not limited to, cost of insurance coverage, travel and accommodation.
- Interns and volunteers are responsible for arranging their own travel and securing any necessary visas.